Get Certified Today
Lease Addendum Definition of Smoking
Smoking: The inhalation of, exhalation of, carrying or possession of any lighted/burning tobacco product, including, but not limited to, cigarettes, pipes, cigars, or other devices that hold tobacco products.
Electronic Delivery Device: Any product that can be used to deliver aerosolized or vaporized nicotine, lobelia, or any other substance to the person inhaling from the device, including, but not limited to, an e-cigarette, e-cigar, e-pipe, or vape pen.
Types of Certification
Platinum: A platinum certification is available for new property and development that do not allow any smoking on any part of the property at any time.
Gold: A gold certification is offered for existing properties that do not allow any smoking, on any part of the property at any time.
Silver: A silver certification is offered to existing properties that do not allow smoking inside any of the units and common areas. It also includes no-smoking zones that encompass the area located within 25 feet of any entry ways and windows to the building.
Steps to Get Certified
Step 1: Decision Making (Contemplation)
- Contact Smoke-Free at Home NM Director
- Attend a Lunch & Learn
- Receive Smoke-Free at Home NM’s Owner/Manager Information Kit
Step 2: Commitment and Preparation
- Decide to go smoke-free
- Conduct a resident survey
- Set up Thinking About Quitting and Second Hand Smoke Workshop for residents
- Notify residents about change to policy
- Set a date
Step 3: Certification
- Submit to Smoke -Free At Home team:
- Letter of Intent to go smoke-free
- Lease Addendum stating smoke-free policy (which must include e-cigarettes)
- Violation Policy addressing smoking (which must include e-cigarettes)
- Receive Certification and get added to our online interactive map!
Property Owners and Managers Sign-Up Form
To begin the process of certification, contact Smoke-Free At Home NM by submitting this form!